Terror on the road
- April 22, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Internal Security International Relations
- Recent terror attack in the Rajouri-Poonch Sector, J&K, resulted in the death of 5 soldiers and raised questions about the management of patrols in sensitive locations.
- The attack has reignited memories of the 2019 Pulwama attack and highlights the continued threat of cross-border terrorism from Pakistan.
Current Kashmir Strategy:
- India’s strategy in Kashmir includes a freeze on talks with Pakistan.
- The government decided to end the region’s semi-autonomous status on August 5, 2019, which has led to rising violence in the region over the past three years.
Questions About Strategy:
- The recent attack raises questions about India’s strategy in Kashmir, including the current freeze on talks with Pakistan.
- Claims made by the former J&K Governor Satya Pal Malik have brought to the fore fresh questions about the intent behind the political class while approaching the issue of terrorism in the country.
Attitude Towards Pakistan:
- India’s attitude towards Pakistan has been tense due to the continued threat of cross-border terrorism.
- Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari’s attendance at an upcoming Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) meeting in Goa has raised the possibility of fresh India-Pakistan engagement.
- It may be time for India to review its strategy in Kashmir, including its freeze on talks with Pakistan, to better address the continued threat of cross-border terrorism.