Dr Pv lakshmaiah IAS Study Circle > Current affairs > International Relations > Talks on consensus against war in Ukraine, trade ties likely during Modi’s visit to France
Talks on consensus against war in Ukraine, trade ties likely during Modi’s visit to France
- April 23, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: International Relations
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to visit France in July 2023. Though the visit has not been publicly announced yet, it is anticipated that several important agreements related to trade, defence, climate change, and energy will be discussed during the visit.
Trade and Defence:
- The two leaders are expected to discuss several agreements in fields such as trade and defence during the visit.
- A “big ticket” deal is anticipated to strengthen relations between the two countries.
- The nuclear power reactors deal for India’s Jaitapur project, which has been stuck over pricing and liability issues, is likely to be discussed.
- The two sides are expected to break the “logjam” in the deal for six nuclear power reactors for India’s Jaitapur project.
- Officials said the two leaders would continue to discuss “convergences” in their policies towards issues such as the war in Ukraine and Indo-Pacific strategy vis-à-vis China.
Climate Change and Energy:
- Discussions related to climate change and energy are also anticipated during the visit.
- Both countries are expected to work towards reducing carbon emissions and promoting sustainable energy.
- France is likely to seek India’s support in joining the United Nations “consensus against the war” related to the Ukraine conflict.
Possible Deal for Dassault Aviation’s “Rafale M”:
- The spotlight of the visit will be on whether India will announce a deal to purchase French company Dassault Aviation’s “Rafale M”.
- The Indian Navy has fast-tracked a process to procure 26 jets to operate off its aircraft carriers, and both Boeing F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet and Dassault Aviation Rafale-M have been evaluated.
- The French officials expressed optimism regarding the deal, but noted that such big deals take “time”.
- Officials from the French delegation of journalists invited from countries of the Indo-Pacific region stated that the two sides would continue to discuss “convergences” in their policies towards issues such as the war in Ukraine and Indo-Pacific strategy vis-à-vis China.
- The sources also said that France wants India to talk to Moscow and keep up the engagement as Europe seeks solutions to the Ukraine conflict.
- Overall, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s state visit to France is expected to be crucial in strengthening the ties between the two countries. The discussions are likely to cover a wide range of issues, including trade, defence, climate change, energy, and regional security. The possible deal for Dassault Aviation’s “Rafale M” is expected to be a major highlight of the visit.